Community Backyards Rebate Program
- Conservation Fund & Mini Grants
- Conservation Series Fact Sheets
- Get Grassy
- Plant Your Trees Right
- Wild Ones Native Plant Butterfly Garden Recognition Program
- Calculating Your Carbon Footprint
- Cost-Share Programs
- Lawn Care & Soil Testing
- Community Backyards Rebate Program
- Rain Gardens
- Reporting Water Pollution
- Service Provider Lists
- Workshop Information & Online Registration
- Contact Us Regarding Backyard Conservation
The Community Backyards program focuses on rainwater runoff and its detrimental impacts on local water quality, streambank erosion, and localized flooding. Participants learn how to install rain barrels and plant rain gardens, along with an introduction to composting at home and the benefits of native plants and trees.
Our new rebate program allows the homeowner to implement a conservation method that works best for them and their environment and does renew each year, meaning that if you received a rebate last year, you can participate again this year and receive a 2017 voucher. Eligibility for the rebate is based on your tax district within Franklin County and whether you live in a participating district. Please note, rebates are one per eligible household.
This year, the Community Backyards Rebate Program offers reimbursements to eligible residents up to $50 for installing a rain barrel, compost bin, planting native plants or trees, or completing a soil test on their property. In select participating districts, you could be eligible to receive an increased $100 reimbursement for planting a native tree (Columbus & New Albany tax payers only). If you do not qualify for the $100 tree rebate or do not wish to plant a tree this year, you can still use the $50 rebate to purchase a native tree or other eligible item if you live in a participating community offering reimbursements. For more information on participating communities or eligible rebate items, please visit our Community Backyards Participation page.
The Community Backyards program is available to City of Columbus residents, participating Municipalities, and Franklin County residents who register to be a City of Columbus GreenSpot member. For questions, please call (614) 486-9613. Not a GreenSpot member? Register here. (Note: Registering as a GreenSpot is not the same as completing the online course and quiz. Both are requirements to receive a rebate.)
There are two ways you can qualify for a rebate voucher.
- Participate in an online course and pass our online quiz. (OPEN April 1, 2017 to October 31, 2017)
- Register to attend an in-person educational workshop in one of two ways:
- Register online through Eventbrite: www.franklinswcdworkshops.eventbrite.com
- Print & mail in a registration form.
Once we have received your paperwork, we will contact you to confirm your registration.
Visit www.communitybackyards.org for more information!